Monday, September 20, 2010

Get more from your scripture study!

Here are a few tips for getting more out of your scripture study:


Questions: Ask questions like "What did this prophet want me to know?" or "How can I apply this to my life?" Increased understanding comes as you explore the answers to these questions.


Name Substitution: Insert your name for a name or pronoun in the scriptures.


Cause and effect: Look for if/then and because/therefore relationships. Example: Jeremiah 7:5-7


Words of emphasis or explanation: Words and phrases like behold, wherefore, because, nevertheless, and thus we see are invitations to stop and look for lessons learned or meanings given.


Read more scripture tips at Ten Scripture Study Tools.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

I'm deepening my scripture study by using the Preach My Gospel manual and following the suggestions in there. Very similar information, and it is quite eye-opening and rewarding.

Joyce DiPastena said...

Thank you for sharing that additional resource, Shelli!